I’ve Died and Gone to Sweet Potato Souffle Heaven
- (3) cups Mashed Sweet Potatoes (just stick them in the microwave and nuke till soft and scoop out)
- 1/2 cup sugar (less or more)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 T vanilla
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 T melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup a.p. Flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 - 1/2 stick butter cold cut up
Mix all together and put in casserole dish.
Make topping (see below) and sprinkle on top
Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.
Mix topping ingredients with your hands until “pebbly” and becomes like wet loose sand. If you want you can just melt the butter in to make it easier but topping won’t get as crispy.
- can make ahead a day or two ahead and bake off the day of
- Don’t want to serve it straight out of the oven cuz you want the topping part to have hardened a little
- Just to avoid confusion, I refer to this as a sweet potato dish but actually made with yams cuz it’s the reddish orangey ones
- I don’t want it super sweet as it’s to accompany my meal, so use 1/2 cup of sugar, but you can adjust the sugar content. Give it a taste before adding in your raw eggs.
- The original recipe calls only for one tablespoon of butter for the topping. I like more to get a crispier crust topping but you can definitely use less